Online Physical Education Network (OPEN) believes that every teacher and every child deserve an outcomes-based curriculum. This curriculum project uses a backward design that targets SHAPE America’s National Standards & Grade-Level Outcomes and best of all, it is totally FREE! OPEN has one mission: to improve the effectiveness of physical education for every child. Below are the top five things you may or may know about OPEN, along with sample links from the website (www.OPENphysed.org) where complete modules can be accessed.
1) Lesson Plans > > > I-01-03-SoccerSkills-Activities_01_Scramble
- Each activity plan includes detailed procedures, student targets, grade-level outcomes, modifications/progressions, academic language, debrief questions, and much more!
- Lesson plans are available in both pdf and word formats. The word formats allow teachers to modify and adapt each document to best suit a teacher’s style, as well as the needs or their students.
2) Academic Language > > > P-03-05-LMS-AcademicLanguage
- OPEN’s instructional design reflects current research and best practices to ensure academic rigor in the physical education classroom.
- The academic language cards are just one example of how teachers can incorporate ELA common core strategies.
3) Self Assessment > > > I-04-07-BasketballSkills-StudentSelfAssessment
- Each student self-assessment provides a tool for formative assessment. In addition, students can set individual goals as they work to improve each skill.
4) Station Cards > > > P-04-06-HandSkills-StationCards
- Station cards are designed with informational text, illustrations, and icons.
- These station cards can be used at the end of a unit to review skill and concepts.
5) Teacher Evaluation > > > I-02-10-PSR-TeacherEvaluation
- Each module includes a self-evaluation and reflection guide that allows teachers to document their own performance.
- Teachers know the importance of reflection. This easy to follow template allows us identify both strengths and areas for professional learning.
All of this and more is available for a variety of units at both the primary and intermediate levels. The website is www.OPENphysed.org. Visitors will have to set-up a username and password (again, it is free), and then all of the content can be downloaded with one easy click! Please help spread the word about OPEN!